Monday, April 23, 2012

Bookspotting: Week 65


Welcome back to another episode of Bookspotting in Hong Kong! This week I spotted a woman reading an English paperback on the MTR. When she left the train, I saw a flash of bright blue on the cover, but couldn't read the title. Another woman was reading Lionel Shriver's We Need to Talk About Kevin and a man was carrying Gazza: My Story by Paul Gascoigne. Kindles are becoming more popular around here: I spotted three this week alone! It is, of course, World Book Night, so I was also treated to the sight of my school's 600 students reading together in the hall this afternoon. Most of them read in Chinese, but I spotted a few English titles here and there. I brought along Madeline in case any of them forgot a book. Two guidebooks made an appearance on the streets of Hong Kong this week, along with four other Chinese books.

What are people reading in your town? Did you do anything special for World Book Night?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I miss WBN! Last year I was a "giver", I had a crate load of books to give away.Tonight I went to Poetry Club and we heard a wide range of readings in languages including Cantonese, German, Scots and English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    I was at a children's party recently and noticed two books set aside on a table while the young guests were chatting over dinner. Both books were from Christopher Paolini's Inheritance cycle, so I'm guessing they belonged to siblings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...