Monday, March 28, 2011

Bookspotting: Week 9


Thank you to everyone who has been reporting the books they see in the comments on these posts. It's so interesting to see what people are reading around the world. This week I spotted a book with the word "blood" on the cover, but I couldn't see the rest of the title. There was a woman carrying The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown in Central, and another reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel on the MTR. I spotted four Chinese books and two Kindles, one of them in the hands of my friend from home who is visiting this week. We spent Saturday on Lamma Island and were pleased to see a shop with boxes of used books for sale out front.

What are people reading in your town this week?

5 comments:

  1. Weekend away with girlfriends...reading material included: Kate Atkinson, Alice Sebold, Sieg Larrsen, Emma Donoghue.Husband reading John Grisham.Son reading Michael Connolly Lincoln Lawyer as he's just been to see the movie. At work, kids reading teen novels by Stephanie Meyer, Gaby Halberstam, Craig Simpson, Cathy Hopkins as well as the usual slew of Jacqueline Wilson, Roald Dahl, Jodie Picoult. For projects, I've had music classes researching the stories behind the musicals, art classes looking at books about Magritte, Picass and Bellany.Non fiction books taken out includebooks about disability, drug misuse, football (soccer), autism, how to look after a chinchilla...and it's only Monday! Three more days of work left then I start packing for move to HK. Arrival date is 28th April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At a fencing tournament in Arizona: a man carrying a hardback copy of Christopher Paolini's "Eragon" and, laying abandoned on the floor, a textbook: "Integer Combinatorial Optimization."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like it might win World's Most Boring Book Title prize, no wonder it was abandoned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent the weekend getting people to join in my workshop in a bookstore called Kinokuniya in Singapore. Many people were hiding behind the shelves.

    by the way, do you do book reviews?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce it sounds like you live in reader's heaven even when you're not at the library. I hope the preparations for your Hong Kong move are going well!

    I heard about a book that was published this year called "Managing a Dental Practice the Genghis Khan Way." I believe that would win for the least boring book title ever.

    Mark, I will accept some books for review, and I'll be putting up a page shortly with the full details. Generally I prefer travel memoirs, books with a Hong Kong connection, and books about Asia. You can email me at snyoung88@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...