Thursday, June 13, 2013

Bookspotting and Wedding Planning

My grandparents' porch, utterly devoid of stress
Over the last few weeks, I've been wrapping up my work responsibilities, finishing the edits for the Expat Women in Asia anthology, and doing a little bit of writing when I can squeeze it in. I'm trying to get all these things out of the way this month because I am getting married in July! 

Planning a wedding from abroad has not been nearly as difficult as I expected, though I'll have a lot to do in the three weeks between my arrival in the US and the actual ceremony. We are getting married in the seaside town in Oregon where my grandparents live (I've visited them there every summer since they retired from their own expat life in Asia). Because it's a small town, we have the huge advantage of not very many choices: only two florists to choose from, one photographer, two reception-compatible restaurants, etc. The disadvantage is that folks in the town prefer to make arrangements over the phone and take a long time to respond to emails. Fortunately, my mom has been calling people when necessary and I'm sure all the details will fall into place. 

Have you planned a major event long distance before? Did you find it more or less stressful than being there in the thick of things?

In bookspotting news, I saw a woman reading a book called Women Beyond the Wire on the train. A young man had what looked like a textbook called Power System something or other. Another man was carrying Thinking Fast and Slow under his arm in Kowloon Bay. This morning, a group of teenagers standing in the MTR station were discussing a textbook called Science Mysteries. This week I also spotted one Hong Kong guidebook (Lonely Planet version), a handful of Chinese books, and one novel with flames on the cover. What are people reading in your town this week?

3 comments:

  1. I agree... planning a wedding from abroad was easy. Some things are so much cheaper and easier to do from here, and otherwise, there's just less choice and running around to concern yourself with. However, I've got to say that the pre-wedding weeks once I was home were pretty crazy because there were all these little things that still needed to be done/needed our approval/didn't work as well in practice as in theory.

    Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stephanie that it was much easier to do from here. Unlike if we'd been back in the U.K. there wasn't the option to go to check places out. We just had to look at pictures online and hope for the best. Also, as Stephanie said the last weeks before the wedding were CRAZY busy, so be prepared for that and GOOD LUCK!! Hope you have the most amazing day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your future wedding! I am busy with wedding planning too. I'm getting married in August. Best of luck to you! I found you on Book Blogs and I am now your newest follower! I hope you have a wonderful day and that you'll stop by for a visit sometime when you get the chance. :)
    Leigh Ann
    MaMa's Book Corner

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...