Monday, July 25, 2011

Bookspotting: Week 26


I spent my final day in Bali trying to fly a ship kite on the beach and spying on a few more beach readers. I saw a novel by Tom Clancy and a book called Love and Death in Bali, but I couldn't read the titles of the other 7 books I spotted that day. It took four flights for me to get to the USA for the rest of my summer holiday. I saw many readers along the way, and the titles I remember in my jet lag induced haze are Clive Cussler's The Kingdom, Lauren Hillebrand's Unbroken, Abraham Verghese's Cutting for Stone, Trenton Lee Stewart's The Mysterious Benedict Society and Roald Dahl's Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I spotted four other Kindles, one in First Class as I walked by, one in the airport, and two others in Economy with me.

I arrived safely in the US only to discover that I have reached 100 followers. Thank you all so much for your support and your comments. I'll be putting together a celebratory giveaway soon, so stay tuned. In the meantime you can tell me what books people are reading in your town this week.



2 comments:

  1. Love the kite! Apart from the Book Fair,on the train from HK to Tung Chung, I saw an e-reader (not a kindle), 3 Chinese novels and a Chinese Disney pamphlet (TC is the line for Disney resort). Despite the fact a lot of Westerners live out there or shop at the outlet mall in TC, I saw no English language books on the half hour journey. My friend's home had lots of books including picture books for her two year old.I read her a Winnie the Pooh picture book.My friend has a brand new kindle in a bright red leather cover and has just downloaded Maseena Ziegler's "Ladies who launch" about setting up business in Hong Kong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the Book Fair, a giveaway saw 100 people get a free book by either AA Gill, Tom Parker Bowles, Nicholas Coleridge or David Starkey. Guess who was number 102 in the line and got zilch!Too many Chinese books to mention and as I browsed the English poetry section on one stall I saw Eddie Tay's mental life of cities.Books by Xu Xi and Wendy Cope were on display. I bought three books at the Fair at $10 each and at Dymock's summer book sale another 6 at half price or less. Summer book spotting in HK is easy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...