Sunday, May 15, 2011

Bookspotting: Week 16


This week I saw a total of three people walking and reading at the same time. I greatly admire this skill. The first two were young girls reading Chinese books. The third was a young man reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone as he walked up Elgin Street. I spotted a woman in a coffee shop with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Two days later I saw a man in a restaurant reading The Girl Who Played with Fire. I saw a woman reading a hefty novel in a movie theater before the film began. The cover design was elaborate but I couldn't see the title. One morning this week a man stood across from me on the MTR reading the very first chapter of Life Without Limits by Nick Vujicic. I spotted three Chinese books this week, including the ones mentioned above.

What are people reading in your town this week?

4 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    Every time you post one of these, I imagine you live in an island paradise of literacy and bibliophilia! I can never spot as many books as you do. =(

    (Of course, it might have something to do with my having my own nose buried in a book all the time. You think?)

    I met an old friend for milk tea last night. He showed me his Kindle, the first time I've ever seen one up close. He was reading a Tom Clancy novel, but I can't remember which one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny that you should mention this Enbrethiliel. Hong Kong is a very crowded city so I see hundreds and hundreds of people every day. I started keeping track of the books I saw because I was surprised there were so few. Most weeks I don't even have to write them down because I can remember every reader that I see (and usually count them on one hand). I've heard rumors that Taiwan is a literary paradise, but I haven't been there yet. Do you live in an urban area? I definitely know what you mean about missing readers because you're reading yourself :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    Yes, I live in an urban area--right next to a major shopping centre, too, so I see lots of people every day that I step out. (Not hundreds and hundreds, though!)

    And fellow readers carrying books are still an uncommon sight . . . although I haven't yet factored in the possibility that they're all carrying their books in their bags while walking around! Perhaps if I took public transportation more often, I'd also see more books.

    And I can totally relate to your being able to remember every reader you see. A few months ago, I saw a really cute guy walking around with The Tailor of Panama by John LeCarre. I think I'm still a bit infatuated with his memory. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sometimes when I got nothing to do I like to sit in a library and see what others are reading. It is a thing that I have, cant help it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...