Saturday, January 29, 2011

Bookspotting: Week 1



Hong Kong doesn't seem to have a big reading culture. I rarely see people reading books on the MTR, and even in coffee shops people are far more likely to be working than reading. There are few bookstores, English or Chinese, considering the size of the population. This is a city that has been very quick to embrace technology, so it is far more common to see people playing and working on their cell phones than reading on their commutes. I've only seen three other Kindles in the last five months.

So what are people reading around here? This week I spotted a middle-aged Western man reading a John Grisham novel and a young Chinese guy reading The Da Vinci Code. I caught sight of another book that looked like a Ted Dekker paperback from far away. There were two people on the MTR this week reading Chinese books, and that was it.

What are people reading in your town this week?

2 comments:

  1. What a fun question! I will be on the lookout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom :). I'll be interested to hear what is popular in Gilbert right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...