Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Bookspotting and Bangkok, Revisited



Last weekend I went off to Bangkok for a quick girls' trip full of shopping, foot massages and food. On my way there, I saw three people reading Chinese books and a schoolboy carrying a copy of The Mysterious Benedict Society. The woman sitting next to me on the Airport Express was reading a book called NurtureShock. She wasn't a native English speaker, and asked her companion what corporal punishment is while she was reading. In the airport, I saw a man carrying Deception Point by Dan Brown. On the plane, my friend was reading Wicked on her Kobo and I was reading Country Driving by Peter Hessler on my Kindle (it's excellent, by the way). My friend pointed out another Kindle reader, too. In Bangkok itself, I saw several Thailand guidebooks in the hands of tourists at the Chatuchak Weekend Market and Wat Pho. On the plane home, the man sitting in front of me was reading The Snowman by Jo Nesbo.




I'm now back in Hong Kong and back to my usual routine. This includes collecting submissions for the Expat Women in East Asia anthology and attending my regular writers' group. This evening a man near me in the coffee shop was reading Confederacy of Dunces. I'm only 8,000 words into the sequel for my Nanowrimo adventure novel. It'll be a while yet before I spot anyone reading anything by me.


What are people reading in your town this week?

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic pictures and I'm also glad that's it's not just me who spies on what people are reading!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...